Friday, November 28

Church Joy

I recently realized that going to church brings me joy once again.

I look forward to attending worship. I long for it all week.

But it wasn’t long ago that I wasn’t this way.

I dreaded what I might find when I attended. My worship was greatly distracted by my fears. I didn’t want to go, but I thought that’s what I was supposed to do. As a Christian I should worship with my brothers and sisters in Christ.

But I felt the distance between my family and myself increasing. I no longer felt like I was home when I arrived for worship. Instead I felt that I had to be on my guard. I wasn’t safe there; I wasn’t protected there; I wasn’t encouraged and revived by the Truth of the Word. I was so afraid of what issues might come up, what discomfort I might experience.

I hated leaving. I did not want to. But I could no longer stay. It just wasn’t an option.

Church isn’t perfect, but it’s supposed to refresh the weary with the Word and with the fellowship of the saints.

I didn’t hear the Word.

I didn’t experience fellowship.

I was alone among the body.

Slowly I was being smothered in my fear and uncertainty and sadness.

Staying was no longer an option. I had to get away. I had to breathe again. I had to focus on God. I needed to be encouraged and to be strengthened and to be comforted.

I simply could not remain.

It broke my heart to leave. I was in agony over the situation and my decision for months. How could this happen? How could I leave? I loved these people. They loved me. But it wasn’t right anymore. It hurt too much to attend. How could I have become so distanced from my family? How could they have left me?

I struggled with my decision. Believe me, I felt cut apart. Where else would I go? I didn’t want to go anywhere else. I wanted to go back home.

But it wasn’t to be.

I visited elsewhere, and I ached. I was desperate to find a new home. I couldn’t float forever; I couldn’t even float for long. I couldn’t take the separation. It was too precious to me to have tight friendships with fellow Christians whom I saw regularly—too precious to be without.

But nothing seemed quite right. A couple times I was nearly ready to just pick a church and say it is my new church. I will park here and get involved. I will make it work. I took it upon myself to not just find a fit but to make one. Well, that didn’t work. It never happened. I did not make a fit. I don’t think I could. God had to place me where He wanted me.

Wow.

I visited my best friend’s church, sort of on a whim. I had nothing better to do. My parents were attending a budding church that met in the evening. But Sunday morning, what was I supposed to do with myself? I was too used to going somewhere; it didn’t seem right to stay home. So I went.

I enjoyed it. I didn’t go to the worship service. I arrived too late for that. Oops. But I went to a Sunday school/Bible study with my twin. The people were friendly, and I liked the preaching that I heard.

So the next week I got up on time and went to the worship service. It was amazing. It was like my dimmer light-switch, which had been getting dark, was suddenly raised to full blast. It was heavenly. I worshiped. I wasn’t afraid. I was refreshed. I was encouraged. I was revived. I was strengthened.

I have gotten myself up early every Sunday since and attended there. Sometimes it’s a little hard. I still don’t know many people well, but I’m building anew. I still have trust issues, and I haven’t thrown myself into the church, like I thought I would. But I look forward to morning worship. And Sunday school after. And seeing friends. And hearing the Word.

I no longer dread attending church. I yearn to be in God’s house. I look forward to worship. I look forward to talking to people. I look forward hearing God’s Word.

Thank you, God! This is your doing. You placed me. It’s still not easy to transition, and I still miss my old home, but I am learning to trust You. You are my Strength. You are my Shield. You are my Protector, Director, Counselor, Comforter. You are my God and always will be. You provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment