Sunday, April 23

Everybody Who's Somebody Will Be There

What does it mean to be "Somebody"?

I’m somebody. I can walk up to a complete stranger, tell him my name, and three (possibly interesting) facts about myself. That person would then know my name (a part of who I am whether I like it or not, but that’s a different subject), and if I choose my facts well, he would know what makes me different from or perhaps similar to him, what makes me tick, what I really like, what I really dislike, things like that.

But does that make me Somebody? All I’ve done is tell a complete stranger my name and a few other facts or details. Are facts and details what makes someone a Somebody? Or is it something more special that makes someone a Somebody?

There’s a song I really like (ah, the joy of knowing good country music). I don’t remember all the words, but it starts out saying “she hasn’t done this incredible feat, or this incredible feat, etc” (things like going to the moon, a solo hot air balloon ride around the world, and being a pop star), “But she’s somebody’s hero, a hero to her baby with the skinned up knee...” [emphasis added] The song goes on, she’s still a hero to her daughter when her daughter gets married, and her daughter wishes she could be like her mom, “But she already is, She’s somebody’s hero, a hero to her mother in the rocking chair, she runs a comb through her silver hair...” [emphasis added] So those two women are heroes. That’s gotta count towards being a Somebody, even though we never hear their names or three facts about them, and even if only one other person noticed.

Are you supposed to be something Special, or a part of something Special, in order to Be Somebody? The movie Independence Day has a part that I think is really good. (it’s a good movie, too) There’s a character, David, who has been divorced for I think about a year and still hasn’t taken his wedding ring off. His ex-wife left him so she could have a job as an assistant to the President of the United States (nothing icky, or like an affair thankfully). I don’t hold it to be a good reason to divorce, and certainly not a Biblical one. There’s a dialogue between them at one point in the movie. She likes her job because it’s Important and says, “Don’t you ever wish you were a part of something special?” His reply is a firm, “I was part of something special.” Aww. He considered their marriage special. That’s a good thing. So, does that make him a Somebody? Or is he not a Somebody until he finishes helping to save the world?

So, just what does it mean to be a Somebody?

2 comments:

  1. 'good country'? there must be some mistake here; an obvious and all-too-common typo. what you meant to say, no doubt, was 'baneful, absurd, sub-optimal noise.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel, thanks for reading. But is that all you can say about this post? criticizing the gift that lets me enjoy a wide range of music? (Though I wouldn't say *all* country music is good. That's why it's nice to know some that is.)
    this post is about much more than country music, be it good or baneful, absurd, sub-optimal noise.
    what do you think about the rest of it?

    (I've got to retrain myself to use the shift key a little more.)

    ReplyDelete